TikTok and tens of other Chinese apps have been banned in India since June 2020. Indian officials justified this decision by citing national security issues and espionage, though TikTok representatives have vehemently denied the allegations.
Other countries have also introduced bans on TikTok because of security concerns or the platform’s offensive and potentially dangerous content.
Luckily, if you signed up for TikTok before the ban, you should still be able to use it. The problem, however, is that new subscribers from India cannot join the platform.
- NordVPN Best VPN for most purposes. Incredibly fast speeds, easy to set up, and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark VPN This is the best, cheap VPN service with many included features and strong security.
- PrivateInternetAccess VPN PIA VPN is one of the best VPNs for streaming and unblocking content.
- CyberGhost VPN Best low-latency VPN for P2P sharing and gaming.
- Atlas VPN Atlas VPN has one of the biggest discounts on this list and supports 4K streaming.
- ProtonVPN (Free Version) Proton is perhaps the most trustworthy company in the VPN business. They focus on security over anything else and offer the best free VPN available.
TRY THE BEST VPN 100% FOR FREE FOR 30 DAYS!NordVPN offers a risk-free 30-day free trial if you sign up here. Use the VPN service for free with no restrictions for a full 30 days, before deciding if it's the right choice for you. You can cancel your free trial anytime and get refunded within seconds.
How Can I Bypass the TikTok Ban in India?
There are three effective ways to bypass the TikTok ban in India:
- On Android: Sideload the official TikTok APK file onto your device – you can find the file on AndroidAPKsBox. Although this seems like an easy solution, you will have to repeat the procedure every time a new version comes out.
- On iPhone: Go to your Google Play Account settings and click on Country/Region. Then, click on Change Country/Region. Choose a country where TikTok is not banned. You can only change your country/region once a year.
- Purchase and install a VPN (Virtual Private Network). This way, you can access TikTok on all your devices regardless of their operating system. Although good VPNs are not free, they have valuable safety features that are not unimportant when using TikTok.
What are the Best VPNs for Using TikTok after the Ban?
Virtual Private Networks perform a two-fold task. First, they encrypt your internet traffic, rendering it unreadable to others. Secondly, they mask your device’s IP address so that nobody can know your actual location. The latter feature allows VPNs to provide access to geo-restricted sites such as TikTok.
The following three VPNs are currently the best options available on the market:
These VPNs have earned their reputation and popularity thanks to a combination of superior features: AES-256 encryption, outstanding safety features (kill switch, DNS leak protection, ad/malware block, etc.), great speeds and unblocking ability, and a strict no-logs policy. In addition, they have thousands of servers scattered worldwide, which means they provide good coverage and are less likely to be crowded.
All the providers also have quality customer service via e-mail and live chat and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Moreover, they can be used on several devices simultaneously. Their apps are available for all operating systems, including Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS, and can also be installed on your router.
How Can I Use TikTok with a VPN?
Because your cell phone’s hardware IP blocks TikTok’s app, you will need a factory reset to access the platform. After you have conducted the reset, your hardware IP is deleted. It enables you to choose another IP, one that is located in a country that allows the use of TikTok.
Is It Safe to Use TikTok with a Free VPN?
There are (at least) three reasons why you should not use TikTok with a free VPN.
First, free VPNs offer a minimal number of servers (usually three), and their locations might not be suitable for accessing TikTok.
Secondly, free VPNs can have limited features, which frequently means less safety and slower speeds. This will make your viewing experience on TikTok dismal.
Last but not least, VPN providers that give their service for free have to find other means of earning money. Typically, they resort to selling their users’ data to third companies.
If you wish to save some money and still use a VPN, you can take advantage of the money-back guarantee, usually for 30 days. Another way is to opt for a long-term paid plan (usually two or three years), which means huge discounts. You can also purchase the service during the Black Friday season when you can get a VPN for up to 84% off.
What Precautions Should I Take when Using TikTok?
Even if you are a die-hard TikTok fan, do not throw caution to the wind. TikTok can be an unsafe place, especially for younger children who are incapable of exercising common sense.
Here is what you need to do to avoid problems:
- Use TikTok in restricted mode.
- Use TikTok with a private account.
- Do not supply personal information.
- Allow only friends to see your content.
- Disable the Find me option.
With over 1,5 billion users worldwide, TikTok is now one of the most popular social networks. However, some countries still choose to ban it for political or safety reasons.
If you are located in India, where the TikTok ban has been present ever since 2020, the most reliable way to access the platform is by using a trusty VPN. A VPN helps bypass geographical restrictions and keeps your safety and privacy intact.
This is impossible to predict, as it largely depends on the political climate between India and China.
Yes. Vigo Video, Lomotif, and Doobido are all similar to TikTok and yet available in India.
Yes, TikTok is legal in the USA. In addition, some American companies are in talks with TikTok’s owners to purchase parts of the company.
Table of Contents